We’re so excited to chat with you soon! While we know how this works, you might be wondering what exactly is going to happen, and how you can best prepare. For the most part we’ll do the heavy lifting, but the consultation call is where we’ll need a lot of input from you.
But we’re getting ahead of ourselves here. Let’s start from the beginning.
Before the Consultation
- Budget a full hour. The best experience is one that feels spacious and unhurried. While we can occasionally complete a consultation in 30 minutes, we find it generally takes 45-60 minutes to get enough quality content. So when you’re scheduling, make sure you pick a time that you won’t have to cut out early.
- Keep distractions to a minimum. Turn your phone on silent and try to find a quiet space to have the call. Whether we’re chatting about vows or a speech, it’s a special occasion and the best thoughts and stories come when you’re really present and tuned in.
- Review those questions we sent you. Before we meet, we’ll send you an email with a handful of questions for you to ponder and that we will discuss on our call. No need to writing anything down beforehand if that’s not your style (but feel free if it is!), but having an inkling about what some of your answers are to these prep questions will help us understand what you’re hoping to convey in your speech.
During the Consultation
- Have those questions that we sent you handy! We’ll use those as a starting point, so definitely put some thought into them—but we’re also pro-tangent as that’s often where the best stories pop up (and those stories help add so much to the final piece!).
- There’s no such thing as too much information. This is a very personal topic, and you might find yourself saying things like, “I can’t believe I’m telling you this” or “I want to tell you this but don’t put this in the speech/vows.” Both of those statements are totally normal! The more you tell us, the better we understand you and your story, and the more personal we can make your speech or vows. Even the stories that don’t make it into the final project help give us context.
- Tell us your story, in your words. There’s a reason we do your consultation as a phone call, not via an online form. The more we hear you talk and use words the way you normally do, the better we can mimic your voice. So keep it real and talk to us like you would a friend. Don’t worry about how it comes out; it’s our job to weave the information into a beautiful, cohesive piece that’s totally you!
- Have fun with it! We know that even preparing for public speaking can be stressful. But you have the experts on your side! We’re here to help make this whole process a fun, joyous experience where you get to reflect on how wonderful your loved one is and tell them exactly how you feel.
After the Consultation
- Forgot something? If you remember a story after the consultation that you want to include in the speech or vows, that’s ok! Send an email to your Muse and we’ll do our best to incorporate the new information.
- Put down your deposit. We typically send your deposit invoice (typically for 50% of your project fee) and our short agreement before your consultation. Once we’ve had our consultation, go ahead and pay that deposit (via a credit card or PayPal account), send over a signed copy of your agreement, and then...
- Relax! Let the Muses take it from here. While we’re getting your first draft ready, you now have time to take care of other details for the big day! We’ll send your first draft on or before the date noted in your agreement, and then we’ll work with you on edits to make sure every word is perfect for your event.
That’s it! If you have questions along the way, we’re always here to help. We look forward to working with you!